Sunday 8 March 2015

An Influential Event

It was the first time I launch a F-15 fighter jet solo, back when I was still serving my National Service. I was a RSAF air force engineer (AFE) of 149 squadron. I was given the opportunity to experience something that the others could not even if they wanted to. However, the responsibility for the safety of the plane, safety of the pilot and the residents of Singapore all lies on my shoulder to conduct the checks on the jet diligently. I could not afford to make any mistakes as it would be detrimental to the safety of the nation and the pilot. The very first time I launched and received the aircraft solo was the turning point in my life. The pilots whom I barely knew trusted me and placed their lives on my hand as they did not even bother to do an inspection on the aircraft. It taught me to be responsible and professional for everything that I do. Honestly, I am very grateful that I got to experience something that others may not in their entire life. Looking at my own fighter jet take off at the runway has always been what I've enjoyed the most during my service.

2 comments:

  1. My brother too was an AFE so I could relate to your experience well. Your essay have excellently covey your appreciation for your job to the reader.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Through your essay I could almost feel your excitement. It also made me experience being put at such a position with that amount of responsibility! Great job!!

    ReplyDelete